“The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patient in the care of the human frame, in diet and in the cause and prevention of disease.”
Functional Medicine is a science based form of health care that seeks to uncover and treat the root cause of illness and disease. Practitioners of functional medicine do not compartmentalize the various body systems (cardiovascular, endocrine, digestive, neurological, etc) and address them individually, but instead take a step back and see how all these body systems affect one another. Modern medicine today is ruled by the notion that a symptom present in one system, is likely caused by a problem within that same system, when that is rarely the case.
For example, an increasing amount of research is showing that an imbalance in your gut bacteria can lead to weight gain, depression, acne, muscle and joint pain, anxiety, hormone imbalances, etc. In the traditional medical model, you may get referrals to an endocrinologist, nutritionist, a psychiatrist, a dermatologist, and a rheumatologist. In the functional medicine model, we recognize the patterns and connections between these systems and rather than treat symptoms as individual problems, we address the dysfunctional patterns. (sometimes we will symptom treat concurrently to provide patients with more immediate relief while we work on the larger underlying problem)
The primary ways a functional medicine practitioner addresses a dysfunctional pattern is through dietary changes, behavioral modifications, and nutraceuticals (supplements & herbs). For more severe cases, pharmaceuticals may be added to a treatment plan by a qualified healthcare professional, but they are never the only component of a treatment plan.
Here is a list of common reasons to seek functional medicine :
- Diabetes/Pre-diabetes/Blood sugar imbalances
- GI complaints (diarrhea, bloating, constipation, IBS, SIBO, acid reflux, etc)
- Weight management
- Unexplained fatigue
- Aches and pains throughout whole body & fibromyalgia
- Poor brain endurance/inability to focus
- Decreased libido
- Menstrual/Fertility issues
- Overall wellness and disease prevention
What to Expect
When you call to make an appointment we will typically book you for three appointments. All requested paperwork needs to be received no later than 48 hours prior to your appointment. The doctor will review the paperwork in advance to enhance the quality of the appointment. If the paperwork is not received 48 hours in advance, you will be called and asked to reschedule.
- Case Review (60 min): This appointment will be a one-on-one visit with the Dr. Since she will have already reviewed your paperwork and pertinent lab work and testing, she will use this time to ask any remaining questions, suggest further testing if necessary, perform any needed physical examinations, and introduce you to the first few steps of your treatment plan.
- 1st Follow up (2 weeks after initial & 60 min): Two weeks allows enough time for most blood work to be completed and reviewed and also allows you to begin the first few steps of your treatment plan. In this appointment your treatment plan will be fine tuned and presented to you and any questions or concerns you might be having will be addressed.
- 2nd Follow-up (4 weeks after 1st follow up & 30 min): Your 2nd follow up is typically where we see how well you are responding to care. Usually by a month in, we will have a good idea of how your body is healing and this also allows Dr. Kira to make any needed changes to your care plan. Depending on the severity of your condition, your treatment plan might extend beyond this point or you may be released with guidelines of how to maintain your new found health.
*Most appointments needed after the 3rd visit will be 30 min appointments unless otherwise requested by Dr. Kira. Every person is different, therefore each treatment plan will be tailored to fit your needs and goals. Our goal is to create lasting positive change in your health.
We understand the importance of support when trying to make positive changes in your life, so throughout the course of your treatment plan Dr. Kira will be checking in with you to make sure everything is on track and to address any questions you have along the way. We will also provide the names of a couple great health coaches to help you along your new path should you need it. So long as we have signed medical releases, we are happy to work with whomever you bring onto your healthcare team.
No matter how long or short your treatment plan is, we are always within reach if you need us. We pride ourselves on being as available as possible for any of your questions, concerns, or updates on how you are doing. Please never hesitate to reach out.
Functional Medicine is a self pay service. We do not bill insurance but are happy to provide you with any documentation you might need to seek out reimbursement on your own. We firmly believe that everyone should have access to high quality healthcare so we will work with you if you should need assistance in affording out of pocket care.
First two appointments (60 mins each): $350.00
2nd follow up and any after (30 mins each): $100.00
Existing patients w/ new issue
First two appointments (45 mins each): $250.00
Follow ups (30 mins): $100.00
**Part of your treatment plan will likely include supplements to support your healing. This will be a cost that is in addition to your appointment cost. **